A praetor is a Roman commander of an army in the time of Ancient Rome. There can only be two praetors per legion that act as the leaders in all of the legion's affairs, including battles. The only known surviving legion is the Twelfth Legion Fulminata.
Prior to the events of the book, Jason Grace declares, during the battle against Porphyrion, that he is the praetor of the First Legion. However, the First Legion directly pertains to the original Roman legion. He slowly regains his memory and remembers the demigods from his cohort including Hazel Levesque and his co-praetor, Reyna.
It is explained in greater detail that Jason Grace had become praetor after his successful defeat of Krios. This brought honor back to the Fifth Cohort, of which Jason was a part of. One month later, during the events of The Lost Hero, Jason was swapped with Percy Jackson by Hera who planned to unite the two camps. Octavian, having no progress as to Jason's status, took the opportunity to question Reyna's decision to not proclaim another praetor to replace Jason. Reyna, knowing that Camp Jupiter was to be attacked by Polybotes, decided that if by the Feast of Fortuna, Jason does not appear, a new praetor can be elected.
Upon returning from the quest to release Death, reacquiring the Roman standard and defeating Alcyoneus, Percy returns to camp, along with Hazel and Frank, as the standard bearer. Upon Percy's defeat of Polybotes, the Romans raise him on a shield and proclaim him praetor. As his first decision in the senate, Percy orders that Camp Jupiter stand ready upon the arrival of the Argo II, to greet his old friends, the Greeks.
Shortly after Jason Grace arrives back at Camp Jupiter, he reunites with Reyna and is introduced to the person that was elected praetor in his place, Percy Jackson. During a meeting between Roman and Greek demigods, Octavian points out that with the return of Jason, the camp currently has three praetors instead of the usual two. Percy and Jason both point out that currently they both outrank him and order Octavian to be quiet. Percy then offers to step down to allow Jason his old position like it is no big deal, something that greatly upsets Octavian. After Percy and Jason are forced to flee camp because an eidolon forced Leo Valdez to attack the Roman Legion, Reyna was once again forced to lead the camp by herself as the only praetor.
List of Known PraetorsEdit
- Michael Varus (deceased in the 80's)
- Jason Grace (currently)
- Reyna (currently)
- Percy Jackson (currently)
- The symbol of a praetor is an eagle medal and a purple cape.
- The Fifth Cohort has housed three out of the four known praetors: Jason Grace, Percy Jackson, and Michael Varus.
- Percy Jackson is the only known praetor to be promoted directly from the rank of a probatio, within 5 days of his arrival.
- Only two praetors can be in office at a time. The sole known exception is that Percy Jackson was raised to praetorship the day before Jason Grace returned to Camp Jupiter. This resulted in Percy, Jason, and Reyna all having the rank of praetor. Before this could be resolved, Percy and Jason were forced to flee Camp Jupiter on the Argo II.
- Because Percy and Jason are considered outlaws and traitors for entering the Mediterranean Sea, breaking Camp Jupiter's laws, Reyna is once again the sole praetor of the camp.