It is a three pronged spear with energy bolts surging through it. To regular mortals, it appears as a surfboard, fishing rod, or ice cream, when he is by the beach due to the Mist. There is an attachment for Poseidon's trident on his throne, where one would expect a fishing pole on a mortal fisherman's chair.
With it, Poseidon has the ability to control the ocean, shake the earth, and shatter any object. It can also project massive beams of blue light that can transform targets or even outright destroy what it hits. It is shown that when he hits a sea monster, it transforms into a goldfish. In The Last Olympian, the Trident is shown to be powerful enough to instantly destroy a giant squid, which was "larger than any skyscraper", dissolving it like "food coloring". Poseidon later told Percy, "If I hadn't looked before I blasted, you would be a puddle of sea water". It is also said that earthquakes are caused when Poseidon strikes his trident into the ground. That is why Poseidon is called "The Earthshaker".
At the Council of the gods on Winter Solstice, Poseidon sides with his son Percy's judgment. He declares that he wouldn't allow the death of the Ophiotaurus, his trident appearing in his hand when he was angered.
- The trident is the astronomical symbol of the planet Neptune.
- In myth, the most common origin for the trident is it was created by the Elder Cyclopes along with Zeus' Master bolt and Hades' Helm of Darkness. The books use the less common story of the Telekhines forging it. It is able to control all bodies of water.
- It is only rivaled by the Master Bolt and the Helm of Darkness.
- It is the only Symbol of Power of the Big Three that wasn't stolen by Luke.
- As shown in Percy Jackson's Greek Gods, Poseidon used the Trident to smash the chains of the Elder Cyclops and Hekatonkheires, freeing them from Tartarus.
|Personal Weapons:||Riptide | Annabeth's Knife | Backbiter | Frank's Spear | Hazel's Spatha | Katoptris | Nico's Sword | Thalia's Spear | Aegis | Maimer | Kronos' Scythe | Ivlivs | Master Bolt | Poseidon's Trident | Sword of Hades | Reyna's Spear | Hades' Staff | Juno's Gladius | Drakon Bone Sword|
|Magical Items:||Annabeth's Yankees Cap | Helm of Darkness | Keys of Hades | Flying Chariot | Golden Apple | Greek Fire | Hermes' Multivitamins | Leo's Magical Toolbelt | Nectar and Ambrosia | Pandora's Pithos | Winged Shoes | The Golden Fleece | Stygian Ice Whistle | Serapis' Staff|
|Spoils of War:||The Minotaur's Horn | Medusa's Head | Kampê's Scimitars | Nemean Lion's Pelt | Gorgon Blood | Cornucopia|
|Items:||Camp Necklace | Chameleon Armor | Daedalus' Laptop | Golden drachma | Mark of Athena | The Pax | Video Shield | Wristwatch Shield | Golden Mango | Sibylline Books|
|Blessed Metals:||Celestial Bronze | Imperial Gold | Stygian Iron|