|Owner of Minotaur's Axe|
|Monster of the Titans|
The Cretan bull (father)
|Hair Color||Thick, shaggy brown|
|Weapons|| Minotaur's Axe|
The Minotaur's horn
|Appearances|| The Lightning Thief|
The Last Olympian
The House of Hades (mentioned)
The Minotaur was born of a human, Pasiphaë, and a white bull. Poseidon sent the white bull to King Minos for him to sacrifice in his honor, but King Minos did not sacrifice the bull because he saw that the bull had the most beautiful fur that he has ever seen and let the bull live. However, Poseidon was spying nearby and saw that Minos had left his white bull alive. Thereafter, mad with rage and anger that Minos had not sacrificed the bull, he cursed Minos by making Pasiphaë fall in love with the bull. Then, when Poseidon had left for Olympus, Pasiphaë had Daedalus make a fake cow for her to hide inside and lure it. The result of their union was the Minotaur.
Pasiphaë nursed him in his infancy, but he grew rapidly and became incredibly ferocious. Minos, after getting advice from the Oracle at Delphi, had Daedalus and his son Icarus construct a gigantic maze, the Cretan Labyrinth, to hold the Minotaur. Its location was near Minos' palace in Knossos.
The Minotaur dwelt at the center of the Labyrinth and every seven years, seven youths and seven maidens in Athens were taken from their families as sacrifices to him. Theseus, the son of Aegeas, volunteered to slay the Minotaur and was taken to the Labyrinth as a feast for the monster. The Minotaur was eventually killed by Theseus with the help of Ariadne and her thread. Ariadne helped Theseus out of the maze with the help of a thread that showed him his way in, and helped him on his way out.
Percy Jackson is running to Camp Half-Blood when the Minotaur attacks him. It is described as having fur from about the belly-button on up and naked except for a pair of bright white Fruit of the Loom underwear.
Percy manages to jump onto the Minotaur's back, pulls off one of the its horns, and kill it by stabbing it in the side. However, the monster manages to abduct his mother Sally Jackson for Hades to hold as hostage. Percy decides to keep the horn as a spoil of war. It is also noted by Annabeth Chase that many campers have hoped of achieving such a task for many years.
Sally is released after the Helm of Darkness is returned to Hades by Percy.
The Minotaur had reformed and was made a general for Kronos' Titan army. This time however, the Minotaur was glad in armor and carried a large axe whose blade was shaped like the letter Omega, the last letter of the Greek alphabet, possibly because it is the last thing a demigod sees before it is killed. The axe holds necklaces from killed demigods. While in the Williamsburg Bridge, the Minotaur lead the charge across the bridge against the Apollo campers lead by Michael Yew. When Percy flies in on Blackjack to help, the Minotaur tosses a car at him, forcing him to land on the bridge. Percy then confronts the Minotaur, causing him to become angry and roars at other monsters when they go to attack him. Before they fight, Percy sees that the Minotaur has camp necklaces tied to his twin swords to show how many demigods he had defeated.
The Minotaur then charged Percy, but in a flash, Percy cut his axe in half and sliced off both of his horns. When the Minotaur became angry, he charged again as Percy took the broken axe and ran for the side of the bridge. Percy then held the broken axe and the Minotaur ran into it. Percy then tossed the Minotaur over the side of the bridge and he turned to dust as he fell.
- The Minotaur is very strong, able to lift a car over its head and throw it across a small field.
- Being a monster, and therefore without a soul (despite being half-human), the Minotaur cannot be truly physically destroyed. After death, his essence descends into Tartarus were it will eventually reform.
In The Last Olympian, the Minotaur wielded a huge axe with blades in the shape of the Greek letter, Omega. Percy guessed that it was because it would be the last thing the Minotaur's enemies saw (as Omega is the last letter in the Classic Greek alphabet).
|from the official soundtrack|
The Minotaur is seen when Percy, Sally, and Grover arrive at Camp Half Blood. Unlike the books, when Percy broke the monster's horn on his own, the Minotaur's horn in the film is removed when it is stuck on a tree. Also, the Minotaur is not wearing the Fruit of the Loom Briefs that he is said to be wearing in the book.
The Minotaur's name translates to "The Bull of Minos." The "mino" in Minotaur comes from King Minos' name. The "taur" in Minotaur means bull/cow.
- The proper name of the Minotaur was Asterion (or Asterios), meaning the starry one.
- Both the Minotaur and his father, the Cretan bull, were associated with the constellation Taurus.
- The name Minotaur, taur refers to Taurus the starsign of the bull. The name means The Bull of Minos, the Minotaur's step-father.
- The Minotaur is the only known monster to come back in a different book after being completely destroyed (not including species or monsters that instantly reformed with Gaea's help).
- In some version of the myth, it is said that Poseidon is the Minotaur's father.
- In other myths, Poseidon told Aphrodite to make Pasiphaë fall in love with the white bull that created the Minotaur.
- Theseus, also a son of Poseidon, fought the Minotaur. This could be why the Minotaur was the first monster Percy fought.
- The Minotaur appeared in the first and last book of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. He is also carrying an axe in The Last Olympian shaped like an Omega, the last letter of the Greek Alphabet. This could be a reference to the Minotaur being the beginning and the end.
- May Castellan has a teeny Minotaur plush toy in a little Minotaur diaper on her front sidewalk.
|Species:||Centaur | Cyclopes | Dragon | Drakon | Empousa | Giants | Harpy | Hyperborean Giant | Ichthyocentaur | Karpoi | Laistrygonian Giant | Pegasus | Skolopendra | Stymphalian Birds | Telekhine | Satyr | Merpeople | Gorgon | Fire-Breathing Horse | Katobleps | Nymphs|
|Friendly Monsters:||Argus | Blackjack | Briares | Chiron | Don | Ella | Festus | Gleeson Hedge | Grover Underwood | Hippocampus | Mellie | Mrs. O'Leary | Ophiotaurus | Peleus | Scipio | Tyson | Tempest | Gray ||
|Enemy Monsters:||Agrius and Oreius | Arachne | Basilisk | Charybdis and Scylla | Chimera | Chrysaor | Clazmonian Sow | Colchis Bull | Echidna | Euryale | Geryon | Joe Bob | Kampê | Manticore | Medusa | Minotaur | Nemean Lion | Polyphemus | Sphinx | Stheno | Typhon | Scythian Dracanae|
|Neutral Monsters:||Cerberus | Erymanthian Boar | Gray Sisters | Gorgons | Furies | Flesh-Eating Horse | Gryphon | Hippocampus | Siren | Carnivorous Sheep|