|Goddess of Ghosts|
|Daughter of Hades and Persephone|
|Family||Hades (father) |
Nico di Angelo (paternal half-brother)
Bianca di Angelo (paternal half-sister)
|Eye Color||Black voids|
|Hair Color||Half-white, half-black|
|Weapons|| Illusions |
|Appearances||The Demigod Files|
|“||Everyone has ghosts, deaths that you regret.||”|
–Melinoe, to Percy in The Sword of Hades
Melinoe is the Greek goddess of ghosts and is often confused with Hecate. She is the daughter of Hades and Persephone. She wandered the earth every night with a train of ghosts, scaring anyone in their path. This was said to be the reason why dogs bark at nothing at night.
Melinoe shows Ethan Nakamura the way out of the Underworld, and on the appearance of Thalia Grace, Percy Jackson, and Nico di Angelo takes on the form of Thalia and Nico's mothers to confuse and torture them, but they do not fool Percy, who breaks the illusion. He swings at her with his sword and she dodges, only to be hit by Thalia with an arrow. She then vanishes into the fog.
PersonalityMelinoe is dissatisfied with her father's rule over the Underworld, and the fact she cannot haunt the mortals of the human world by day. She opts for Kronos to rule, as she is promised that she will be able to haunt whenever she wants. Her somewhat nasty personality could have been brought on by the bitterness of her parents seeming to not take much interest in her. This could have also prompted her switching of sides.
Melinoe is a strange goddess and her appearance is frightening. Her left side is black and hardened like a mummy, to represent her father, the dark Hades. Her right side is pale and chalky as if she were drained of all her blood, to show the bright Persephone, her mother. She wears a golden dress and a golden shawl, and her eyes are empty black voids. However, seeing her in this form is unlikely, as, being the goddess of ghosts, she can appear as whomever she wants, haunting people in their nightmares and in person if ever directly confronted. The illusion is so strong that even when normal, her immediate victims still see her as the ghost.
- She has the standard powers of a goddess.
- Necromancy: As the goddess of ghosts, she has divine authority and absolute control over the dead.
- She can call forth endless waves of the dead to fight for her.
- She can destroy Skeleton Warriors.
- She can put the dead to sleep.
- She can silence the dead with a gesture.
- She can physically grab a ghost.
- She can take on the appearance of the dead people in a person's life, using guilt and anger from the person as an ally or as an advantage in battle. She then uses this to destroy them.
- Her name means "Dark Thought" in Greek.
- In Greek mythology, Melinoe's father is said to be Zeus, who sired her with Persephone under the guise of Hades. Her black-and-white appearance is said to reflect her Olympian and Underworld heritage.