|Jailer of Cyclopes and Hekatonkheires|
|Combatant in the Titan Army|
|Family||Tartarus (father) |
Giants and Typhon (brothers)
|Hair Color||Green Snakes|
|Home||Alcatraz Island (formerly)|
|Appearances|| The Battle of the Labyrinth |
Percy Jackson's Greek Gods
|“||Kampê was the jailer. She worked for Kronos. She kept our brothers locked up in Tartarus, tortured them always, until Zeus came. He killed Kampê and freed Cyclopes and Hundred-Handed Ones to help fight against the Titans in the big war.||”|
Kampê is an extremely powerful and monstrous ally of Kronos. She was originally the jailer of Tartarus, before Zeus arrived and destroyed her, after which he freed the Cyclops and Hekatonkheires. In The Battle of the Labyrinth, Kronos once again recruits her to fight Camp Half-Blood. However, she is later killed in battle.
Kampê was a jailer for the giants, the Cyclopes, and the Hekatonkheires (a.k.a. the Hundred Handed Ones) during Kronos' rule, before Zeus freed them and started the First Titanomachy. Kampê was the first foe that Zeus destroyed with his new Master Bolt.
|“||Then I shall enjoy your pain, Briares. If you thought your first imprisonment was unbearable, you have yet to feel true torment. Think on this until I return.||”|
Percy and his friends met her in the Labyrinth. She is guarding Briares, a Hekatonkheire, or a Hundred-Handed One, from escaping Alcatraz. Kampê chased after Briares, as he escaped from Alcatraz, thanks to the help of Tyson.
Later, Percy sees her in a dream in which she asks Luke for a more important role in the battle against the Olympians and, after she's gone, he comments that they shouldn't have freed her, since she's too powerful and chaotic.
During the Battle of the Labyrinth, Kampê is one of the deadliest Titan combatants. Percy and Annabeth fight her, but are almost killed until Briares joins the battle, now at full size and carrying a hundred huge rocks. Briares buries Kampê by hitting her with all these rocks at once. She died in Camp Half-Blood near Zeus' Fist, and her scimitars were taken as spoils of war, kept in the Big House attic at Camp Half-Blood.
AppearanceAccording to Percy Jackson's Greek Gods, Kampê is the most fearsome and ferocious monster in all of Tartarus, the "greatest nightmare of your greatest nightmares". Even Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades initially shuddered with horror after seeing the infernal monster for the first time. Kampê has a human head, with snakes for hair, like Medusa. She has a half human body, like a centaur, but with reptilian skin and a dragon half, with gigantic claws. Her dragon half is said to be black with white stripes down her back. She has huge scaly wings, a huge scorpion tail (that is extremely venomous), and at the point where her halves meet, her skin "bubbles and morphs", occasionally producing ferocious mutated animal heads that constantly change shape (bear, tiger, crocodile, wolf, etc.) like a gruesome, monstrous belt. Hundreds of violent vipers are sprouted from her legs. Her eyelids blink sideways, "like a reptile's." Percy notes that even just standing near Kampê is like "standing in an acid fog." Kampê is also known to speak in an 'ancient rumbling language'.
- Main article: Kampê's Scimitars
Kampê wields two poisonous twin scimitars that will kill you, after you shrivel slowly into dust. This does not kill Cyclopes or Hekatonkheires (Hundred Handed Ones), though it causes them hours of extreme and ineffable pain, according to Tyson. The scimitars themselves glow with a "wierd greenish aura boiling wisps of vapor that smelled sour and hot even across the yard." They are also extremely sharp, shown when Kampê used them to instantly slice through steel cell bars and stone walls.
- In some myths she was a giant snake and covered the door that lead Zeus to the Hekatonkheires and Cyclops. Zeus turned into a bee and got in a giant rock on the top and became himself again and make the giant rock roll her head and killed her.
- Kampê speaks the "Tongue of the Old Times", which Gaea initially spoke to the Titans, Elder Cyclops, and Hundred Handed Ones.
- As seen in Percy Jackson's Greek Gods, Kampê was so fearsome, that even Zeus, Poseidon and Hades shuddered with horror after seeing her for the first time. In The Battle of the Labyrinth, even though she is on Luke's side, he is visibly terrified of her. Kampê is also one of the few monsters that Percy choses to run from, instead of engaging her in battle.
- As seen in Percy Jackson's Greek Gods, Kampê is the first foe that Zeus wields his Master Bolt against. Thus, she is the first monster ever fought and destroyed by the Olympians.
- Kampê seems to have incredible endurance, since she was completely unfazed even after Chiron shot her with three arrows in the chest.
- Kampê is able to fight with both of her hands independently, and she nearly overwhelmed Percy and Annabeth simultaneously.
- ↑ The Battle of the Labyrinth, chapter 9: I Scoop Poop
- ↑ The Battle of the Labyrinth, page 110
- ↑ The Battle of the Labyrinth, page 111
|Species:||Centaur | Cyclopes | Dragon | Drakon | Empousa | Giants | Harpy | Hyperborean Giant | Ichthyocentaur | Karpoi | Laistrygonian Giant | Pegasus | Skolopendra | Stymphalian Birds | Telekhine | Satyr | Merpeople | Gorgon | Fire-Breathing Horse | Katobleps | Nymphs|
|Friendly Monsters:||Argus | Blackjack | Briares | Chiron | Don | Ella | Festus | Gleeson Hedge | Grover Underwood | Hippocampus | Mellie | Mrs. O'Leary | Ophiotaurus | Peleus | Scipio | Tyson | Tempest | Gray ||
|Enemy Monsters:||Agrius and Oreius | Arachne | Basilisk | Charybdis and Scylla | Chimera | Chrysaor | Clazmonian Sow | Colchis Bull | Echidna | Euryale | Geryon | Joe Bob | Kampê | Manticore | Medusa | Minotaur | Nemean Lion | Polyphemus | Sphinx | Stheno | Typhon | Scythian Dracanae|
|Neutral Monsters:||Cerberus | Erymanthian Boar | Gray Sisters | Gorgons | Furies | Flesh-Eating Horse | Gryphon | Hippocampus | Siren | Carnivorous Sheep|