Imperial Gold is quite rare, as it was consecrated in Ancient Rome. The ore is specifically deadly to monsters, immortals, and their descendants. It also appears to be extremely harmful to wind-based monsters, as Jason was able to kill a group of Venti, even though Annabeth says that even with Celestial Bronze they are difficult to kill. It's also revealed that if a weapon forged from Imperial Gold is broken it would cause an explosion powerful enough to create a thirty-foot-deep crater in a mountian.
King Midas stated that Imperial Gold was consecrated in the Temple of Jupiter on Capitoline Hill, but its existence was an absolute secret of the Emperors. When Jason battled the giant Enceladus at Mount Diablo, Enceladus destroyed Jason's weapon, Ivlivs, and as it breaks, the Imperial Gold causes an explosion that turned part of Mount Diablo into a crater.
It was stated that Imperial Gold is not as rare as Celestial Bronze, though still quite rare to the Romans. However, ever since Michael Varus lead an expedition in the 80's to Alaska, hoping to find the true meaning of the Prophecy of Seven, Camp Jupiter has had a major shortage of the metal. After Percy Jackson, Hazel Levesque, and Frank Zhang return from their quest to Alaska, they supply the Fifth Cohort with new Imperial Gold armor and weapons, including the Legion's Eagle Standard.
When the seven demigods talk about going to Charleston, Jason mentions that he and Reyna did a quest to salvage a secret stash of Imperial Gold torpedoes from the C.S.S. Hunley, and eventually secured them back to Camp Jupiter.
Later, when the seven demigods encounter Chrysaor, he informs Percy and Annabeth of him being the first to ever wield the metal known as Imperial Gold, though Chrysaor calls it Enchanted Gold.
Known Imperial Gold Weapons
- Chrysaor's Sword
- Demeter's Sword
- Ivlivs, Jason's weapon that doubles up as a sword or lance
- Frank's Spear
- Hazel's Spatha
- Reyna's Spear
- Juno's Gladius
- Alabaster Torrington's sword
- Old weapons in Porphyrion's hair
- Other weapons retrieved from the bay of Hubbard Glacier in Alaska
- Other weapons from the Legion
- Most weapons in Camp Jupiter
- Imperial Gold is one of three magical ores, the others being Celestial Bronze and Stygian Iron. However, in Percy Jackson's Greek Gods, adamantium is also mentioned.
- The making of Imperial Gold was a closely guarded secret of the Roman emperors.
- King Midas states that it was consecrated in the Temple of Jupiter while Reyna stated it was the Pantheon.
- Michael Varus lost most of the Twelfth Legion's Imperial Gold weaponry and armor in the 1980s. It was retrieved by Percy, Frank, and Hazel and given to the campers at Camp Jupiter.
- In The Son of Neptune, it is mentioned that Celestial Bronze is even rarer than Imperial Gold by the people at Camp Jupiter. However, Imperial Gold is never used by demigods at Camp Half-Blood, meaning Imperial Gold is rare to Camp Half-Blood in the same way Celestial Bronze is rare to Camp Jupiter. Although both sides have had contact with the different metals before The Heroes of Olympus.
- Imperial Gold was simply called enchanted gold until the Romans learned how to make it, officially naming it Imperial Gold.
- The first Imperial Gold weapon was owned by Chrysaor, the son of Poseidon and Medusa.
- As it is not silver, it cannot harm lycanthropes.
- Just like Celestial Bronze, a stab wound from Imperial Gold can damage not only the body, but the soul of a demigod as well.
|Personal Weapons:||Riptide | Annabeth's Knife | Backbiter | Frank's Spear | Hazel's Spatha | Katoptris | Nico's Sword | Thalia's Spear | Aegis | Maimer | Kronos' Scythe | Ivlivs | Master Bolt | Poseidon's Trident | Sword of Hades | Reyna's Spear | Hades' Staff | Juno's Gladius | Drakon Bone Sword|
|Magical Items:||Annabeth's Yankees Cap | Helm of Darkness | Keys of Hades | Flying Chariot | Golden Apple | Greek Fire | Hermes' Multivitamins | Leo's Magical Toolbelt | Nectar and Ambrosia | Pandora's Pithos | Winged Shoes | The Golden Fleece | Stygian Ice Whistle | Serapis' Staff|
|Spoils of War:||The Minotaur's Horn | Medusa's Head | Kampê's Scimitars | Nemean Lion's Pelt | Gorgon Blood | Cornucopia|
|Items:||Camp Necklace | Chameleon Armor | Daedalus' Laptop | Golden drachma | Mark of Athena | The Pax | Video Shield | Wristwatch Shield | Golden Mango | Sibylline Books|
|Blessed Metals:||Celestial Bronze | Imperial Gold | Stygian Iron|