|Family||Typhon (father) |
|Appearances|| The Lightning Thief (film) |
The Sea of Monsters
The Mark of Athena
The Hydra is a vicious multiple-headed monster.
In Greek myths and legends, the Hydra was a vicious monster with multiple heads with one of them being immortal and invincible to all weapons. When one head was decapitated, two more snake-heads would grow in its place. Hercules eventually defeated the Hydra, by having his nephew, Lolous, burn each stump after he had cut it, before the heads reproduced, then tore off the immortal head with his bare hands, and buried it under a giant rock.
When Percy Jackson sent Tyson to look for powdered doughnuts so he could talk to Annabeth, Tyson went out and came upon a Monster Doughnut store. Tyson, being a monster, was somehow able to summon the outlet bringing the Hydra with it. It was large and lizard-like, with long necks and seven heads to match. It had many rows of razor-sharp teeth, its hands were clawed, had a tail, and spat acid. According to Annabeth, another Monster Doughnut shop popped up every time it grew another head. She says that Hermes' children found a way to use the hydra's life-force to make a new chain of stores. Percy, initially tries to defeat it by slicing off its heads, but succeeded only in making more. Percy, Annabeth, and Tyson were saved by Clarisse when the Hydra's heads were lit aflame and burnt off by cannon fire from the CSS Birmingham.
Spoil of WarEdit
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- It can spew acid from its mouth.
- Some heads have the ability to breath fire.
- It has multiple heads
- Two heads will grow back for each head that is cut off.
|from the official soundtrack|
- Hydra, the largest of the modern star constellations, is named after the monster.
- Hydra is also the name of a satellite of Pluto.
- Hydra, a species of simple fresh-water animal, is named after the monster.
- Hydra, is also a name for a small problem.
- In Greek Mythology, the Hydra terrorized the Kingdom of Lernea, so it is fully called the Lernean Hydra.
- In one version of Heracles's labors, Hera's first choice of monster to make Heracles fight was the Hydra but Iris tricked her into making the Nemean Lion the first labor, and told Heracles to use the pelt of the lion as armor against the poisonous Hydra,