The Chariot Races are previously banned events; reintroduced in The Sea of Monsters by Tantalus. Chariot races consist of teams with two campers racing around a track in a chariot. One would be the driver and the other would attack the opponent's chariots with various magical weapons and modifications. The horses can vary greatly, from the skeletal horses used by the Ares Campers to mechanical horses made by Charles Beckendorf from the Hephaestus cabin.
Chariot races also happen in Camp Jupiter but there they were never prohibited (as far as it is known) and are one of their activities.
These rules were enacted when Tantalus was in charge. They may or may not have changed since he was removed.
- The track is a quarter-mile in length.
- Complete two laps first to win.
- Two horses per chariot.
- Each team will consist of a driver and a fighter.
- Weapons are allowed.
- Dirty tricks are allowed.
- Killing will result in "harsh" punishment (no s'mores for a week at the campfire).
- Clarisse from Ares' Cabin won, but only because a flock of stymphalian birds that interrupted the race. It is suggested that Percy Jackson and Annabeth Chase could have won if they had not been distracted by the stymphalian birds.
- Percy Jackson and Annabeth Chase from the Poseidon cabin and the Athena cabin respectively, worked together on a single chariot and won the race, resulting in Annabeth giving Percy a kiss on the cheek. Annabeth, in the end mentions that they could not have won if Tyson had not given the watch/shield to Percy.