Long Island, New York
Training Camp for Greek Demigods
|“||Keeping Young Heroes Safe from Harm (Mostly) For Over Three Millennia||”|
Camp Half-Blood is a Greek demigod training facility located on the Long Island Sound, directed by Dionysus, who the campers call "Mr. D," and Chiron, a Centaur who is the activities coordinator. It is also the Greek counterpart of Camp Jupiter, a Roman camp in San Francisco, California.
The camp has magical borders, which are enforced by the Golden Fleece, found by the satyr Grover, the Cyclops Tyson, and demigods Percy Jackson, Clarisse La Rue, and Annabeth Chase. Stolen from Polyphemus' island, it was placed on Thalia's pine tree, ensuring that no monsters could get into camp. The Fleece stays on the tree, guarded by the dragon Peleus, it's magical powers protecting the camp.
The camp is described as being the only safe place for half-bloods, although in the Heroes of Olympus series it is revealed that there is a similar camp for Roman demigods – Camp Jupiter, located in San Francisco.
The half-bloods live in cabin (one for each Olympian; later, many more cabins were added later for minor gods and goddesses on after Percy's request in The Last Olympian), and eat at the dining pavilion. There is also an archery field, a sword fighting arena, a climbing wall with lava for training, an amphitheater, stables, an armory, and the Big House.
Long Island, New York 11954
The camp is in Montauk, at the end of the Long Island. Also, Percy, Sally, and Grover drive from their cabin at the beach in Montauk does not take them very long to get to camp. However, the Camp is located on the North Shore of Long Island, referenced many times in the books, while Montauk is located on the South Shore. This makes the camp's true location uncertain. Percy also says that the part of Long Island beach that the camp is invisible to mortals, except the ones who can see through the Mist. Monsters and mortals can not enter, unless permitted from the inside. The address, 3.141, is believed to have originated from the number pi, which is named after the Greek letter.
According to various camp members, the camp has trained some very famous figures, including a few United States Presidents like George Washington, son of Athena. It is a sanctuary for demigods, with borders that keep out monsters as well as humans. Five years before Percy arrived at the camp, Thalia Grace, daughter of Zeus, came close to dying on the border, willing to sacrifice herself to allow her friends, Annabeth Chase, Luke Castellan and Grover Underwood, to reach the safety of the camp. In her dying moments, her father Zeus took pity on her and turned her into a pine tree, sustaining her life-force within it. Her tree's position on the border enabled her spirit to strengthen the borders of the camp. She later returned to human form and joined the Hunters of Artemis. It is also mentioned in The Demigod Files that before the camp had magical borders, it was guarded by the Bronze Dragon about 15 years before it became defective and disappeared into the woods. It is said that the bronze dragon was an offering of the Hephaestus cabin to their father, and that it protected the camp for approximately a decade before getting lost.
Percy Jackson, Annabeth Chase, and Grover set off to the west coast to recover Zeus' main weapon, the master bolt, before the summer solstice, or else Zeus and Poseidon, Percy's father, would go to war. In the end, however, Percy manages to return the bolt to its owner, and returns to camp as a hero,much to the delight of other campers. However, after awarding Percy his first camper bead, Luke Castellan betrays everyone by joining Kronos, the Titan Lord of Time, and attempts to poison Percy with a pit scorpion. Percy survives the encounter, but not before Luke manages to escape.
A quest to retrieve the Golden Fleece is given to Clarisse after Thalia's tree had been poisoned by Luke using elder python poison from the depths of Tartarus, which weakens the camp borders. The Fleece, which can make any land a paradise, heals Thalia's tree from near-death within a few minutes and, by the end of the night, separates Thalia's physical body from the tree.
Afterwards, it continues to maintain the borders at their usual strength, even without Thalia's spirit.
Grover finds a pair of demigods, Nico and Bianca di Angelo, whom are guarded by a fierce monster called a manticore at Westover Hall. Percy, Thalia, and Annabeth go to the demigods' rescue. The group meet the Hunters, immortal maidens under Artemis's command, near the school. After a fight with the monster, during which Annabeth is kidnapped, the Hunters set up camp and Artemis asks for Bianca to join the Hunters, and she accepts. Camp Half-Blood is visited for a short time after Artemis has ordered her hunters to return to camp while she went on looking for a monster that the Titan army planned on using against the Olympians. Being an old tradition, the campers face the Hunters in a game of Capture the Flag, and are defeated for the 56th straight time, much to their and Chiron's dismay. While Percy and Thalia blame each other for the loss, their quick fight ends when the Oracle appears and gives Zoë Nightshade, the lieutenant of the Junters, a quest. Zoë begins to form a team for the quest, which excludes Percy, as she does not want any males on the team. That night, however, the Stoll brothers give one of the hunters meant to go on the quest a poisoned t-shirt as a prank, making her unable to join the quest. Nico, worried for his sister, asks Percy to follow them and make sure she stayed safe, which Percy promises to do to the best of his ability.
Percy and the surviving quest members eventually return to the camp, where Percy is left with the unfortunate task of telling Nico that his sister had passed away while saving the others during the quest. However, Skeleton Warriors manage to sneak inside the borders of the camp and attack the two. Nico then opens up the earth, which swallows the warriors into the Underworld, and then runs away from the camp.
Percy arrives at camp to find out that it has hired a new sword instructor named Quintus, who also has a pet hellhound named Mrs. O'Leary. During a new game that Quintus had invented, he sends several groups of two demigods each into the camp's woods to find a gold laurel, which is tied to one of six monsters in the woods. During the game, Percy and Annabeth find an entrance to the Labyrinth in between rocks in Zeus' Fist. Annabeth realizes that this passage can be used by the Titan Army to get past the camp's borders and attack from within. Annabeth leads a quest from the camp the next morning with Percy, Tyson, and Grover.
After Percy blows up Mount Saint Helens while running an errand for Hephaestus, Annabeth eventually returns to camp to break the bad news to everyone, and the camp holds a funeral for Percy, who coincidentally arrives during the ceremony. Percy and Annabeth return to the Labyrinth with the aid of Rachel Elizabeth Dare, while Camp Half-Blood prepares for the arrival of the Titan Army. Percy and Annabeth return to camp after Daedalus refuses to help and they prepare for battle along with Nico. Monsters begin to pour out of the entrance, and with the arrival of Kampe on the battlefield, the demigod forces begin to lose the battle. The tide turns again, however, when Briares and Daedalus return and crush Kampe with a pile of rocks,while Grover scares the army back into the labyrinth. Daedalus then sacrifices his life to destroy the entrance to the labyrinth at Camp Half-Blood and the labyrinth itself.
Percy first arrives at camp after successfully destroying Princess Andromeda, but at the cost of Charles Beckendorf. Chiron welcomes Percy back, but explains that the gods are currently away from Olympus, as Typhon had managed to break free from his prison. Percy realizes that the monster was a distraction, and that Kronos' main army would be attacking Olympus directly while the gods were away. Nico also appears at camp to ask Percy if he had made a decision about his plan to bathe in the River Styx. Percy agrees to do it, and the two leave camp to go to the Underworld. Percy later informs the camp about his plan and the attack on Manhattan, asking them all to come.
After the battle, everyone returns to camp in celebration. Percy and Annabeth celebrate his birthday and officially become a couple on the docks after sharing their first real kiss. Several campers see this and immediately pick the two up, and toss them in the lake. Percy, however, creates an air bubble under the water, allowing the two to kiss again. After the end of summer, Percy leaves camp with his parents and runs down Half-Blood Hill with Annabeth.
Jason, Leo, and Piper are taken back to Camp Half-Blood after they are attacked by venti at Grand Canyon. Annabeth gives Piper a tour of the camp and finds her a weapon. That night at the campfire, Piper is claimed by Aphrodite, while Jason shows off his abilities to control lightning. The Oracle also shares a prophecy with the rest of the camp, but it is specifically directed at Jason. In order to be allowed to go on the quest, Leo goes into the woods and finds the Bronze Dragon, which leads him back to Bunker 9, where Leo spends all night adding wings to the dragon. The next morning, Leo uses the dragon to take Piper and Jason on their quest.
After the quest, the trio returns to the camp. Leo and Piper become the heads of their cabins, and Leo shows everyone the existence Bunker 9. Chiron, once shown to the bunker, tells the other campers that the bunker was once used ages ago during the American Civil War - which he states was just as disastrous for demigods as it was for mortals - when the Greek and Roman demigods fought one another.
The camp is shown in dreams Percy had, showing the campers working on the Argo II.
While Camp Half-Blood is not shown, Leo Valdez is said to have installed monitors on board the Argo II that have real time video of the camp. Later, after Leo had accidentally attacked Camp Jupiter and the seven of the prophecy are on board the Argo II, he wonders if it was a good idea to have installed the monitors. Leo wonders if they made the Greek demigods homesick after seeing Percy looking at one for a long time, gazing at the sunset over Half-Blood Hill. He also wonders if Camp Half-Blood seemed strange to the Roman demigods, as it was very different from Camp Jupiter.
As the Romans and the Greeks fight because of the actions of the Eidolons, Annabeth runs into Reyna, who tells her that if she returned to Camp Jupiter and faced trial, which would result in her execution, there could possibly be some kind of peace. However, if she continued to Rome, the Romans would find and wage war against Camp Half-Blood. Annabeth goes off to Rome, asking Reyna to at least slow the Legion down.
The East and the West
According to Chiron, the Greek desecration of Troy was what split demigods apart in the first place. Aeneas, the first Roman demigod and son of Venus/Aphrodite, was the last surviving prince of Troy. He fled to Italy, where the Latins (the ancestors of the Romans) lived. Aeneas was the first Roman demigod, and he was soon followed by many others. These Romans later lived in the West of North America, reputedly in the Bay Area of California. Later on, during the 1860s, the Romans, living in the Bay Area, fought with the Greeks, who were, even then, living at the camp. This was the deadliest conflict between the Greeks and the Romans, although many other wars took place between the two sides.
The following winter after the events of The Last Olympian, new demigods show up at Camp Half-Blood. During a field trip for a juvenile detention facility, the "Wilderness School", three storm spirits attack a satyr protector, Gleeson Hedge, and three demigods. Annabeth Chase, a prominent camper at the camp, along with Butch rescue these three demigods. One is revealed to be the son of Hephaestus, Leo Valdez, and another is revealed to be the daughter of Aphrodite, Piper McLean. However, it is the revelation of the third demigod's identity that shocks everyone the most: the new demigod is the full brother of Thalia Grace, Jason Grace, the son of Jupiter (Zeus' Roman form). However, he keeps calling the gods by their Roman names. He is given a quest, along with Leo and Piper to save Hera, who has been trapped by the giants. After the quest in The Lost Hero, the Roman's existence is discovered by the Greeks because of Jason, and these two camps will have to unite to fight the Giants, Gaea's most terrible children, who threaten the very roots of Western Civilization itself, Greece.
- Main article: Cabins
There were originally twelve cabins (all the Olympian gods except for Hades and minor gods) but after the Second Titan War, Percy made the gods promise to claim all their children and for the minor gods to have more respect, so now there are twenty cabins in total, one honoring each god or goddess( Minors included) . Some of the cabins include Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Demeter, Dionysus, Hermes, Ares, Athena, Apollo, Aphrodite, Hephaestus, and Artemis (Though it is only used when the Hunters come to camp). The cabins of Hades, Iris, Hypnos, Nemesis, Nike, Hebe, Tyche, and Hecate being the latest additions. This makes in total twenty cabins.
Hera's cabin is an honorary one as a courtesy to Hera, as she's the queen of the gods, even is she has no demigod offspring. Artemis' cabin is also honorary because she is one of the maiden/virgin goddesses, but does sometimes play host to her Huntresses. The cabins honoring Zeus and Poseidon are supposed to be empty, but Percy Jackson and his Cyclops half brother Tyson (occasionally) occupy Poseidon's cabin, and Thalia Grace used to occupy Zeus' cabin, before she joined Artemis' Hunters to prevent her from being the child of the prophecy, and Jason Grace now occupies the cabin until he gets back to his rightful home.
After The Last Olympian, the layout of the cabins changed dramatically, due to the deal Percy made with the gods. Now, each minor god and Hades (fortunate for Nico di Angelo) have their own cabins which means that the amount of campers will double or triple, to Mr. D's dismay (luckily, by this time, Zeus cut his remaining time to 50 years instead of 100.) Also, now the gods are obligated to claim their demigod children by age 13. This will make for a much less crowded Hermes cabin. It is presumed that they are still making cabins. The cabins are now placed in the shape of a Greek Omega (the last letter of the Classic Greek alphabet: Ω).
- Main article: The Big House
The Big House, is where the Oracle of Delphi used to live in the attic, before Rachel Elizabeth Dare took the Oracle into her own body and told many prophecies starting in the Heroes of Olympus series. It also is a main meeting place for the leaders of the cabins for major problems and ideas before any quests. Dionysus and Chiron enjoy playing pinochle on the front porch, the greatest game invented by man (along with Pac-Man and gladiator fighting) according to Dionysus.
- Main article: Climbing Wall
The lava wall, a climbing wall, is said to pour lava out for an “extra challenge”. If the camper does not get to the top quickly the walls clash together and the camper's clothes are soaked with lava (actually torn to only threads).
The camp borders are designed to keep mortals, monsters, bad weather and many other things out of the camp. Only campers, satyrs, gods, some mortals (such as May Castellan and Rachel Elizabeth Dare in The Last Olympian) and monsters who were given the permission by a camper (as Annabeth Chase did to Tyson) may enter through the border (as Grover once told Percy people let monsters in as 'practical jokes' much to Percy's shock). Once, the border was protected by many things, the most notable being a strong copper dragon. In modern times, it is passively — but effectively — defended by the magical barrier generated by Thalia's tree, created by her dad, Zeus, in her dying moments as he took pity on her.
In The Sea of Monsters, Thalia's Tree was poisoned by Luke Castellan with elder python venom from the pit of Tartarus. As the tree weakened, so did the strength of the borders. Percy managed to rescue Grover as well as steal the Fleece from Polyphemus the Cyclops. The Fleece healed Thalia's tree and restored Thalia to her original body while leaving the tree in place. The Fleece is guarded by the dragon Peleus.
During The Demigod Files, which took place about a few weeks after the Battle of the Labyrinth took place, Percy Jackson, Annabeth Chase, Charles Beckendorf, and Silena Beauregard found the Myrmekes - ancient Greek ants the size of a terrier carrying the head of mechanical bronze dragon. The marks of the head digging on the ground revealed a massive crater with the neck of the bronze dragon. Annabeth reattached the dragon's head and led the dragon to help rescue Beckendorf, who was captured by the ants. The dragon then went berserk and Beckendorf worked with Percy to shut it down. Then it was fixed by Leo Valdez in The Lost Hero and used on the quest to rescue Hera from Porphyrion, although it was destroyed at the home of King Midas and the remaining parts were taken back to Bunker 9.
- Main article: Dining Pavilion
|“||We still have to eat, don't we?"||”|
|“||Meh, the stables. You see Chiron staying in the stables?"||”|
|“||Inside was not gardening tools, unless you want to make war on your tomato plants.||”|
–Piper, talking about the armory
|“||It was like a steam-powered locomotive had smashed into the Greek Parthenon and they had fused together.||”|
–Leo Valdez, talking about the forge
The woods are where dryads live and monsters were stocked. It is known as a dangerous place, and no one should ever go there unless they were armed or with a companion. The campers play capture-the-flag in the woods every Friday, and sometimes hunt for monsters to fight as training, such as when Quintus brought scorpions from Triple G Ranch. It is often mentioned in Percy Jackson and the Olympians.
The Myrmeke Hill is at first thought to be a myth, until Percy, Annabeth, Silena, and Beckendorf found it. Beckendorf was captured by Myrmekes and Percy, Annabeth and Silena activated the Bronze Dragon, later named Festus, to rescue him. It is located on the North-West side of the woods. It has many nests down to the Earth's core that are stocked with larva, metal and lots of armor.
The camp has several traditions derived from its Greek roots. Winners and victors are given laurel wreaths and paraded around camp. More poignantly, anytime a camper goes on a quest, their siblings/cabin mates weave them a funeral shroud in case their sibling does not survive — if the camper has no siblings, another cabin may volunteer to do it, should they return victorious, they get to burn the shroud.
But the most prominent tradition is the camp beads. At the end of every summer session, the senior counselors vote on the biggest event of the summer and paint it on the bead:
- The Lightning Thief - A black bead with a green trident. Percy's first year.
- The Sea of Monsters - A bead symbolizing a little image of The Golden Fleece. Percy's second year.
- The Titan's Curse - There was no bead. The events of this book took place in the same year as The Sea of Monsters, during the winter.
- The Battle of the Labyrinth - An intricately designed maze to represent the Labyrinth. Percy's third year.
- The Last Olympian - The Empire State Building with the names of the deceased in tiny Greek letters around it in a miniature border. Percy's fourth year.
- The Lost Hero - There is no bead. The events of the book take place in the same year as The Last Olympian, only during the winter, just a few months after Percy's birthday (August 18th) at the end of the book.
There are five beads on Annabeth's necklace at the start of The Lightning Thief, from years taking place prior to the books. The ones described are Thalia's tree, a centaur in a prom dress — ("...now that was a weird summer..."), and a Greek trireme on fire. Percy interrupts Annabeth in her explanation so the last two beads are not described. Because Luke arrived the same year as Annabeth, it can be assumed he had the same set.
A game of capture the flag is played every Friday from 6:00 (PM) to 9:00 (PM). The boundary is the creek and often teams use the pile of rocks named 'Zeus' Fist'. Whenever the Hunters of Artemis come to the camp, there is a game of capture the flag and all campers participate in helping out. It is said that even the Aphrodite children go around offering to straighten peoples armor. Normally this cabin would sit on the side lines and cheer. In The Titan's Curse it is stated that the Hunters have won 56 times in a row.
On a deleted scene of The Lightning Thief, Percy is thrown to the lake as a tradition for newcomers. It is done after the Hermes cabin does a chant and "a series of hand-gestures I didn't understand any better than the words" as Percy described them.
- Percy Jackson - Demigod son of Poseidon, dating Annabeth Chase, nicknamed 'Seaweed Brain' by Annabeth, Praetor of the Twelfth Legion
- Annabeth Chase - Demigod daughter of Athena, dating Percy Jackson, nicknamed 'Wise girl' by Percy, Architect of Olympus.
- Grover Underwood - Satyr, seeker of Pan, Lord of the Wild, and newest member of the Council of Cloven Elders. Grover is nicknamed Goatboy by his two best friends, Percy and Annabeth.
- Thalia Grace - Demigod daughter of Zeus; became a Hunter of Artemis after the death of the previous leader, Zoë Nightshade during the events of The Titan's Curse during the Winter Solstice Olympian Council. She was turned into a pine tree for seven years.
- Rachel Elizabeth Dare - A mortal with the ability to see through the Mist. She became the new Oracle during the events of The Last Olympian
- Clarisse La Rue - Demigod daughter of Ares and the leader of Ares' Cabin; dating Chris Rodriguez
- Chris Rodriguez - Demigod Son of Hermes. Clarisse's boyfriend after he had been saved by Dionysus from the Labyrinth when he went mad.
- Nico di Angelo - Demigod son of Hades; younger brother of Bianca di Angelo. He is not always at camp.
- Charles Beckendorf - Demigod son of Hephaestus, former leader of Cabin 9 and boyfriend of Silena Beauregard (deceased).
- Silena Beauregard - Demigod daughter of Aphrodite and girlfriend of Charles Beckendorf. She was also good friends with Clarisse and was one of the best equestrians. She was a spy for Kronos (deceased).
- Jason Grace - Demigod son of Jupiter (Roman name for Zeus); Thalia's younger brother. Most of his memories were stolen by Hera, but he is recovering them gradually. He is really from camp Jupiter. Dating Piper.
- Piper McLean - Demigod daughter of Aphrodite. Has the ability to charmspeak. Becomes head of Aphrodite's Cabin at the end of The Lost Hero, taking the place of Drew, the previous cabin leader. Dating Jason.
- Leo Valdez - Demigod son of Hephaestus; he has the power of pyrokinesis (a power not seen for almost a hundred years). At the end of The Lost Hero becomes the head counselor of the Hephaestus cabin which Jake Mason happily handed over.
- Connor Stoll - Demigod son of Hermes; twin brother of Travis. Co-head of the Hermes cabin with his brother after Luke's betrayal to the camp.
- Travis Stoll - Demigod son of Hermes; twin brother of Connor. Co-head of Hermes cabin with his brother after Luke's betrayal to the camp.
- Katie Gardner - Demigod daughter of Demeter.
- Clovis - Demigod son of Hypnos. and leader of Hypnos' Cabin.
- Butch - Demigod son of Iris. He is the camp's best equestrian and has a rainbow tattoo on his arm. Head counselor for Iris' cabin.
- Tyson - Percy's younger brother and Cyclops son of Poseidon; friends with Annabeth, Percy (even though they're brothers), and anyone else except Percy's demigod enemies. Now general of Poseidon's cyclops army.
- Will Solace - Demigod son of Apollo; current head counselor of the Apollo cabin. Great with healing medicine, especially when Annabeth was wounded in battle by Ethan Nakamura.
- Lee Fletcher - Demigod son of Apollo; former head counselor of Apollo's cabin (deceased).
- Michael Yew - Demigod son of Apollo; former head counselor of Apollo's cabin (presumed deceased).
- Jake Mason - Demigod son of Hephaestus; former head counselor of Hephaestus cabin; gave his position of councilor of Hephaestus cabin to Leo Valdez at the end of The Lost Hero because of his injuries.
- Drew Tanaka - Demigod daughter of Aphrodite; has the ability to charmspeak; second counselor of Aphrodite's cabin after the death of Silena Beauregard. She is forced to resign after being challenge by Piper for head of the cabin.
- Nyssa - Demigod daughter of Hephaestus.
- Pollux - Demigod son of Dionysus. Head counselor of Dionysus' cabin. Twin brother of Castor.
- Castor - Demigod son of Dionysus. Twin brother of Pollux (deceased).
- Lacy - Demigod daughter of Aphrodite.
- Mitchell - Demigod son of Aphrodite.
- Harley - Demigod son of Hephaestus.
- Malcolm - Demigod son of Athena. Co-Cabin Leader to Annabeth.
- Lou Ellen- Demigod daughter of Hecate. Head Counselor of Hecate's Cabin.
- Luke Castellan - Demigod son of Hermes. Luke was the head of Hermes cabin until he deserted camp to join Kronos by the end of The Lightning Thief. He serves as a major antagonist for Percy and his friends during the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. Hero of the Great Prophecy (deceased).
The camp has the tradition that the cabin member who has been there the longest becomes counselor. The only ones who can challenge this are cabin members who are older, or have completed the most quests and can challenge the current counselor.
- Cabin 1 (Zeus): Jason Grace
- Cabin 3 (Poseidon): Percy Jackson
- Cabin 4 (Demeter): Miranda Gardiner & Katie Gardner
- Cabin 5 (Ares): Clarisse La Rue
- Cabin 6 (Athena): Annabeth Chase
- Cabin 7 (Apollo): Will Solace
- Cabin 8 (Artemis): Thalia Grace
- Cabin 9 (Hephaestus): Leo Valdez
- Cabin 10 (Aphrodite): Piper McLean
- Cabin 11 (Hermes): Connor & Travis Stoll
- Cabin 12 (Dionysus): Pollux
- Cabin 13 (Hades): Nico di Angelo
- Cabin 14 (Iris): Butch
- Cabin 15 (Hypnos): Clovis
- Cabin 20 (Hecate): Lou Ellen
- Dionysus - The Camp Director, who is also known as Mr. D. by the campers. He was punished by Zeus (his father) to operate the camp for 100 years because tried to woo an "off limits" wood nymph. Dionysus was also forbidden to grow his own grapes. It was cut down to 50 years following the Second Olympian War.
- Chiron - Activity Director and centaur. He is also the healer (just like a human doctor).
- Argus - The Security guard at camp. He was created by Hera, as mentioned in The Lost Hero. He is covered with eyes from head to foot. He never speaks, as it is said he has an eye on his tongue. He is the beginning step of every quest as he is the initial driver.
- Harpies - Three Harpies serve as "Cleaner Harpies" who would eat any camper that lingers around after noon on the last day of camp. The Harpies also cleaned the dishes with super-hot lava and are also good in mid-town traffic.
- Tantalus - An ex-staff member of the camp and Percy's most hated person in "The Sea of Monsters." He was put in the Fields of Punishment for killing his son Pelops and serving him as food to the gods. His punishment in the Fields of Punishment was to stand under a fruit tree with low branches in the middle of a lake. When he tried to grab the fruit, the branches pulled away. When he bent down for a drink, the waters receded. He was put in Camp Half-Blood in place of Chiron (who Zeus suspected of being the culprit in the poisoning of Thalia's tree which protects the valley where Camp Half-Blood resides in). When outside of the Fields of Punishment when called to cover for Chiron, the food and drink would always avoid him so he cannot eat or drink. Tantalus was very strict and even restarted the Chariot Races. Tantalus stated that anyone who accidentally killed another camper will not get dessert for a week. His curse of not being able to touch food or drink eventually wore off, but Tantalus was still sent back to the Fields of Punishment (because it was revealed that Luke had poisoned Thalia's tree, not Chiron). No one was sad to see him go.
- Quintus (AKA Daedalus) - Ex-staff member of the camp. Also one of the most clever men ever. He is also a demigod son of Athena who realized what Annabeth said afterwords and came to help fight the Titan army in the Battle of the Labyrinth. He sacrificed his life to deactivate the Labyrinth.
- Peleus - A dragon that guards Thalia's tree after The Golden Fleece had freed Thalia from it.
- Counselors - Don't officially work at Camp Half Blood, but are cabin leaders, and form the War Council. Some duties are: Scheduling events for cabin, inspecting cabins, border patrol, leading the cabin into battles, and, sometimes (like Annabeth, Luke, and Silena), they train you in activities.
The councilors of camp that meet when issuing a quest, a military attack or during a crisis.
There is no known exact schedule, but according to The Ultimate Guide, this is Percy's (which might be different for other campers) camp schedule:
|08:00 AM-09:00 AM||Breakfast and cabin inspection||Breakfast and cabin inspection||Breakfast and cabin inspection||Breakfast and cabin inspection||Breakfast and cabin inspection|
|09:00 AM-10:30 AM||Ancient Greek with Annabeth||Ancient Greek with Annabeth||Ancient Greek with Annabeth||Ancient Greek with Annabeth||Ancient Greek with Annabeth|
|10:30 AM-11:00 AM||Lunch Preparation||Store checks||Cleaning Stables||Picking Strawberries||Polishing armor|
|11:00 AM-12:00 PM||Archery with Chiron||Javelin throwing||Sword skills||Monster assault techniques||Pegasus riding|
|12:00 PM-12:30 PM||Greek Mythology with Grover||Greek Mythology with Grover||Greek Mythology with Grover||Greek Mythology with Grover||Greek Mythology with Grover|
|12:30 PM-1:30 PM||Lunch||Lunch||Lunch||Lunch||Lunch|
|1:30 PM-3:30 PM||Weapon-making||Ride the rapids||Tracking skills||Wrestling||Volleyball|
|3:30 PM-5:00 PM||Letters Home||Cabin clean-up||Laundry||Wood-chopping||Firework-making|
|5:00 PM-6:00 PM||Free time||Free time||Free time||Free time||Free time|
|6:00 PM-7:00 PM||Dinner||Dinner||Dinner||Dinner||Dinner|
|7:00 PM-9:00 PM||Volleyball league||Unarmed combat||Archery knockout||Trials of strength||Capture the Flag against groups of campers or the Hunters of Artemis|
|9:00 PM-10:00 PM||Campfire singalong with Apollo's cabin||Campfire singalong with Apollo's cabin||Campfire singalong with Apollo's cabin||Campfire singalong with Apollo's cabin||Campfire singalong with Apollo's cabin|
According to the sign, the camp has moved around with Western Civilization since Greece, however, according to Daedalus, it hasn't been around for even fifty years, though Daedalus could have been actually referring to when he himself was a child many thousands of years ago. This is supported due to Bunker 9, it has been around since the USA's early days — mainly the American Civil War as both Greek and Roman demigods fought each other in a Demigod Civil War.
- The road address, Farm Road 3.141, is the first four digits of pi (π).
- Due to the magical barrier protecting the camp, precipitation and weather in the camp, (such as snow, rain, etc.) do not fall on the camp unless desired so by Mr. D. It also keeps out mortals if unneeded or for protection.
- The cover name for camp is Delphi Strawberry Co. (shown in the Last Olympian).
- To pay their expenses, the camp grows strawberries with the help of Mr. D, who has an effect on fruit bearing vines (the only reason they don't grow grapes is because he is not allowed to by the order of Zeus as punishment).
- The only mortal allowed in Camp Half-Blood is Rachel Elizabeth Dare who is the camp's host for the Oracle of Delphi. However, Percy once mentioned a pizza delivery guy entered Camp Half-Blood once by just being "really lost."
- The campers wanted to call Zeus' Fist "Poop Pile" as it looked like a 'giant pile of deer droppings', but Chiron prohibited them, as he did not want to offend Zeus, who does not have a great sense of humor.
- Unlike Camp Jupiter, there are no older demigods at Camp Half-Blood. Presumably, most campers leave after reaching a certain age (like Charles Beckendorf), while others may not make it to adulthood.
- Camp Half-Blood is always in the East because in ancient times, the Greeks always existed in the Eastern part of the Roman empire.